Wednesday 29 June 2011

Post 27, in which I finally talk about libraries

So, I absolutely love my job but I haven't blogged about it yet as being the end of semester one, I am feeling utterly consumed by it. I'm a little tired, a little worn out like any academic librarian may feel so even the thought of blogging about it made me feel a little overwhelmed. I also felt that I am much much more than my job.

Finally, my crazy work life has slowed down enough to let me process thoughts about work so that I may blog about it. There are many aspects of academic librarianship that I am passionate about but topping the list are the following 2 things:
1. Creating health sciences graduates that are Evidenced based medicine savvy and information literate
2. Creating a positive user experience (which is not just for academic libraries but all libraries).

I wrote an article published in Incite July 2010 called 'creating a standard of positivity', describing why I think it is so important for the profession to have users who like to use the library - more they like it, the more they use it, the more they use it, the more they understand the importance, the more they use other libraries in the future.

How many of us were inspired to become librarians because of experiences we had in libraries? As kids, we loved our libraries, we loved our librarians (well I did anyway).

I find it hard to believe that many of my friends that don't use libraries hated their school librarians. I wonder if that is connected at all?

Anyway, I think that's all the work I can blog about at this stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment