Wednesday, 29 June 2011
Finally, my crazy work life has slowed down enough to let me process thoughts about work so that I may blog about it. There are many aspects of academic librarianship that I am passionate about but topping the list are the following 2 things:
1. Creating health sciences graduates that are Evidenced based medicine savvy and information literate
2. Creating a positive user experience (which is not just for academic libraries but all libraries).
I wrote an article published in Incite July 2010 called 'creating a standard of positivity', describing why I think it is so important for the profession to have users who like to use the library - more they like it, the more they use it, the more they use it, the more they understand the importance, the more they use other libraries in the future.
How many of us were inspired to become librarians because of experiences we had in libraries? As kids, we loved our libraries, we loved our librarians (well I did anyway).
I find it hard to believe that many of my friends that don't use libraries hated their school librarians. I wonder if that is connected at all?
Anyway, I think that's all the work I can blog about at this stage.
1. Chicago - Sufjan Stevens - Awesome song. Reminds me of living in Ireland
2. A whiter shado of pale - Procal Harum - Just one of those song that I will always always love
3. No Surprises - Regina Spektor - Amazing cover or the Radiohead song
4. Run River - Jon Swift - You may recognise this from the Corona ads last year. It reminds me of travelling in Mexico and driving though the beautiful land scape from San Cristobal to Palenque and there is a beautiful river where the waters are the most amazing blue.
5. Now we are free - Lisa Gerrard - That song from the Gladiator soundtrack it's also on the Qantas ads at the moment
6. The littest birds - The Be Good Tanyas - awesome folky band who are friends of friends of friends. One of my favourites songs.
7. Northcote (So hungover) - The bedroom philospher - a novelty song.
8. You've got the love - Florence and the Machine
9. Time to smile - Xavier Rudd - Who doesn't love this song
10. Season of the Shark - Yo La Tengo. I love this song. It's got such a happy tune but with such a haunting voice.
Tuesday, 28 June 2011
I stumbled across this video in my inbox today and thought I'd share it with you all.
It is a really really funny video of a dog trying to get a stranger to throw a stick for him.
Here is a meme:
A. Age: 31
B. Bed size: Queen
C. Chore that you hate: Food shopping
D. Dogs: Banjo, Border Collie age 3 1/2. Aslo best dog ever.
E. Essential start to your day: Coffee
F. Favourite colour: green
G. Gold or Silver: silver
H. Height: 165cm I have no idea what I am in feet.
I. Instruments you play: Guitar
J. Job title: Faculty Librarian for Health Sciences
K. Kids: not yet
L. Live: Fairfield Vic
M. Mother’s name: Jill
N. Nicknames: Kat, Katastrophe
O. Overnight hospital stays: 2 weeks when I lived in Ireland
P. Pet peeve: Many but noisy eaters really bug me.
Q. Quote from a movie: Yoda in Empire Strikes Back "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter"
R. Right or left handed: Right
S. Siblings: 2 brothers, one older, one younger
T. Time you wake up: 6.00 most days
U. Underwear: Yes
V. Vegetable you hate: None
W. What makes you run late: I get distracted with craft projects
X. X-Rays you’ve had: chest, finger, head, and teeth
Y. Yummy food that you make: soups
Z. Zoo Animal: Echidna (I see them in the wild too but they are so darn cute)
Wednesday, 22 June 2011
What’s in a name meme…Thanks Fiona
1. Your real name:
2. Your Gangsta name:
(first 3 letters of real name plus izzle.)
3. Your Detective name:
(fave color and fave animal)
4. Your Soap Opera name:
(your middle name and street you live on)
Last year it would have been Jane Batman
5. Your Star Wars name:
(For your new first name: first 3 letters of your 1st name + first 2 letters of your surname; For your new last name: first 2 letters of your mother’s maiden name + first 3 letters of the city you were born)
6. Your Superhero name:
(your 2nd favorite colour, and favourite drink).
Silver Tea (that’s just lame)
7. Your Iraqi name:
(2nd letter of your first name, 3rd letter of your last name, 1st letter of your middle name, 2nd letter of your mother’s maiden name, 3rd letter of your father’s middle name, 1st letter of a sibling’s first name, and last letter of your mother’s middle name)
8. Your Witness Protection name:
(parents’ middle names)
9. Your Goth name:
(“Black”, and the name of one of your pets)
10. Your Ninja name:
(First two letters of your first name added with “ruto”)
11. Your Pirate name:
(Your middle name after the word Captain)
And just for fun have a look at this link:
Owls with Stupid Expressions on their Faces http://flic.kr/y/cyXy7x
To which he replied "I couldn't have made it up because I can't write, it must have been my big sister".
I asked if maybe he had made the name up in his head, he didn't need to write to do that. But no, he was adamant that it couldn't have been possible. Supercute.
Tonight and last night I made lots more dinosaurs.
I like making things.